Kangaroo Jack Soundtrack

Well.

Here we are.

Never thought I'd be taking the time to listen to this soundtrack. With everything happening right now (if you are reading this years later because you have nothing to do, simply google what happened in 2020) I guess that for the time being I am grateful that this time is being spent on this instead of something else.

First thoughts on Kangaroo Jack before we get started:
  • I actually remember seeing this at the Crestwood AMC when I was younger, and remember it being a positive experience.
  • I may have seen it at some other point again, but never remember it being on purpose.
  • How about Anthony Anderson being a total cock block to Jerry O'Connell's character by doing a massive cannon ball right before some Australian water sex was about to go down?
  • Estella Warren in this movie attractive wise, not bad. Actually good. I remember thinking higher thoughts of her as a kid watching this movie, but good. She looked good.
  • I actually created a custom Madden Character named Frank Lombardo. He played tight end. Apparently I had better thoughts for the mobster in this film (bad guy).
  • (bad guy) this is what happens when you have someone who doesn't watch many movies give his thoughts on a movie.
To the soundtrack!

Swing and a miss to Paul. No surprise here. No Baha "Boys." Baha Men by the way, sucker.

Last time I think that the rating was based on 5.0 being the best score scale. Either that or Joe Somebody's soundtrack was fucking hot garbage. I think it was both.

1 - The Next Episode
Written by David Axelrod, Dr. Dre (as Andre Young), Melvin Bradford, Snoop Dogg (as Cordozar O. Broadus) & Brian Bailey
Produced by Trevor Rabin and Paul Linford
Performed by Trevor Rabin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADIyIlO-_Ug

La-da-da-da-dahh
It's the motherfuckin D-O-double-G 
SNOOP DOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

We all know this one. Song is a banger even to a rock guy like myself. I just wish they played the dirty version in the movie. Like what a way to start a flick?

4.0

2 - Tainted Love
Written by Ed Cobb (as Edward Cobb)
Performed by Soft Cell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF68OyTlP4E

This is another good one. If you haven't heard it, did you have a radio growing up? I don't have the stats in front of me, but I would bet this was in many other televised programs/films.

Side track, I don't hate the Marilyn Manson cover of this song, but this version is better.

3.5

3 - Superman (Theme)
Written and Performed by John Williams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78N2SP6JFaI

This one, not so appealing to me. It's just a theme song. Plus the only superhero movies I've seen are the Batman movies. So I don't even have a special nostalgic connection to this song.

Is it bad? No, I guess not. A lot of instruments going on here. Definitely a talented individual who created it.

Am I going to listen to it again on purpose?

No.

2.0

4 - Casanova
Written by Calanit Ledani, Darryl Zero, Jeeve (as Jean Yves Ducornet) & Kevin Colbert
Performed by Paulina Rubio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABq9Kp5dia4

Ok, well I am never listening to that again. I don't want to hate, but simply can't relate from a cultural perspective.

1.5

If I could listen and comprehend everything, might have given a higher score.

5 - So Clever
Written by Lucia & Dave Bassett
Performed by Lucia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNh9s2lLAw

This is the song where if you have to put it in the movie for money or whatever, you put it in the credits where everyone who is not affiliated in the movie either leaves the movie theater, hits eject, or changes the channel.

1.0

6 - Rock da Juice
Written by Regis Ducatillon & Ian A.V. Burrell
Performed by The Dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRJieT1FUsU

Not a bad groove, but what are we even saying here? No thanks. 

1.5

7 - Down Under
Written by Colin Hay & Ronald Strykert (as Ron Strykert)
Performed by Men at Work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s

Yo, DJ? Turn that shit up. Crank it to 11. Have a MF vegemite sandwich.

In all seriousness, those weird pipe instruments in the background just do it for me. That and the lyrics are terrific. I've actually been in a car with people singing this song blasting it much like a scene in the movie.

4.0

8 - Start the Commotion
Written by Theo Keating, Greg Mays, Salaam Remi, Bob Bogle, Melvin Taylor,
Don Wilson & Nokie Edwards
Performed by The Wiseguys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-AQukaVqkk

Jahred, this song reminds me of you. Just like in the other movie. You wake up, brush your teeth, grab a gogurt, and start your day driving to work. This song is playing as your life's movie is beginning.

2.5

9 - Pig Wobble
Written by Charlie McMahon (as C. McMahon), Bobby Bunungurr (as D. Bunuggurr), Michael Bartolomei (as M. Bartolomei) and Mark Atkins (as M. Atkins)
Performed by Charlie McMahon & Gondwana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do6SYzVJu5w

Give it a second.

Fuck it. Just kidding. Spare yourself.

It reminds me more of Tanzania rather than Australia.

0.5

If you didn't read last time, 0.5 is due to the fact that the song simply exists.

10 - Kangaroo I
Written and Performed by Craig Eastman

FIRST ONE!!!!

I can't find it.

You know what that means?

Probably a good thing.

0.0

11 - The Lost Coast
Written and Performed by Ivan Rosenberg

Back to back jacks here.

0.0

12 - 2 Way
Written by James Brown & Rob Base (as Robert Ginyard)
Performed by Romeo Miller (as Lil' Romeo) (featuring Master P)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VNOJBKQzZg

Oh wow. I don't want to be mean, but whose fucking idea was this? Not just to put this song in the movie, but to say we're going to record and produce this piece of shit just like what the fuck my ears hurt after this. If I can't sleep because this is stuck in my head we're cancelling soundtrack reviews.

0.5

13 - Hey Sexy Lady
Written by Shaggy (as Orville Burrell), Rik Rok (as Ricardo Ducent), Brian Thompson, Patrick Morrison, Robert Livingston & Christopher Birch
Performed by Shaggy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcg__eDktgY

Shaggy, great.

We started off hott, and each song keeps getting worse.

No I will not listen to this ever again. We'll give this one a higher, no I just can't. I'm literally convinced either the soundtrack budget was very weak, or these songs were actually paid to be featured.

0.5

14 - Rappers Delight
Written by Bernard Edwards & Nile Rodgers
Performed by Sugarhill Gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcCK99wHrk0

I'm fairly certain in the movie that this was performed by the Kangaroo and it had its own lyrics.

This one fucks considering the list of songs that come before it.

3.0

15 - Round Round
Written by Miranda Cooper, Lisa Cowling, Felix Strecher, Robin Hofmann, Mutya Buena,
Rino Spadavecchia, Floria Pfleuger, Keisha Buchannan, Brian Higgins, Heidi Range, Nick Coler & Timothy Powell
Performed by Sugababes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHh86ySgKrA

I do think the chorus sounds catchy, but these verses start off kind of weird. 

I get the vibe I'm at a Gloria Jeans to grab a coffee before shopping for specials with my Kohl's card.

2.0

16 - Spread My Wings
Written by Rico Lumpkins, Gary White & Szhachilea Chunn
Performed by Shawn Desman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4zwaaaVNHo

Certainly not my cup of tea. This one person sounds like a full blown boy band. It might be that point in the blog, but this is the first one that was cut short.

Is this at a love scene in the movie? It's kind of blurry what happens with that Australian chick until the end of the film.

1.0

Gross.

17 - The Natural
Written and Performed by Randy Newman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJMRBBekeEg

This must have been when something epic was about to happen.

This song has been in a million, billion, quadrillion scenes.

It's ok. After the beginning it get's strange.

2.0

18 - Soak Up the Sun
Written by Sheryl Crow & Jeff Trott
Performed by Sheryl Crow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88HeyQnV6Qk

I have a confession to make. I have listened to Sheryl Crow. By myself. On purpose. 

If I was forced to pick who my wife was simply by the sound of her voice, please Sheryl. You can be on our podcast when ever you want. I don't have much to offer other than that, but it's a fun thing to do.

I remember this was how the movie ended so I would assume the next song is the credits.

What a way to end the movie. Love this jam. Fuck me, Sheryl. I mean by that this song is terrific. Nothing else by that comment. Can't think of any other interpretation. This ain't no disco. It ain't no country club either. Don't be our favorite mistake.

4.5

19 - Hey Baby
Written by Bruce Channel & Margaret Cobb
Performed by DJ Ötzi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfHHv7yOYX0

Actually, not bad. I wouldn't add it to the shuffle. Was able to endure it. Very average voice. Lyrics are mainstream pop worthy. But, don't hate it.

2.0

That was exhausting. 19 songs.

There are some good ones on here, and certainly more than the previous blog from what I can remember. 

Overall, pretty hard to have a perfect soundtrack. 

Favorites, not that anyone cares and in no particular order:

  • Singles
  • Wayne's World
  • Goodfellas
  • The Blues Brothers
Probably more.

Share via email, and we will get through them together.

If you've read this far, I'm a huge fan of you.

Best regards,

Pat










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joe Somebody Soundtrack